Growth Management (Current consultation)
Northumberland County is currently reviewing and updating maps and policies related to long-term growth and land needs in Northumberland County’s Official Plan. Share your feedback as we prepare for future growth in our community.
What is Growth Management?
Current Provincial forecasts indicate that by the year 2051, Northumberland's population will grow to approximately 122,000 people and the workforce will grow to approximately 44,000 jobs.
To ensure our community is prepared for this future growth, we are reviewing maps and policies related to long-term growth and land needs in Northumberland County’s Official Plan. This amendment process will help us assess how new development will be planned, phased, and accommodated to the year 2051.
This process is required to bring the County’s Official Plan into conformity with the Growth Plan, 2019 (as amended), as well as to reflect current provincial policy direction and the County’s strategic initiatives.
The Growth Management Amendment will result in updates to the Northumberland County Official Plan policies, including:
- Long-term population, housing and employment forecasts to 2051
- Allocations of population, housing and employment by Urban and Rural Area, as well as by planning policy area
- An analysis of urban Community Area land needs (to accommodate residential and population-related employment)
- An analysis of urban Employment Area land needs (to accommodate industrial type employment)
- A review and analysis of Employment Area conversion requests
Public consultation process
In December 2021, Northumberland County launched the public consultation process for the Growth Management Amendment with a virtual presentation of our Growth Management Report and an online public review and comment period, which is currently ongoing.
In spring 2022, we hosted a virtual open house and public meeting to provide additional information and opportunities for public feedback.
Join In the conversation
- Review an executive summary of the Growth Management report and the Growth Management Strategy / Land Needs Analysis Council Report in the Documents tab
- Share your feedback regarding the draft Growth Management Report with our Land Use Planning team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
For a copy of the full draft Growth Management report or proposed official plan amendment, please submit a request to our Land Use Planning team by email at email@example.com.
December 2021 - virtual public meeting
- Introduced the growth management amendment during a presentation of a Growth Management Report to the Northumberland County Economic Development, Tourism and Land Use Planning Committee meeting that took place on December 1, 2021. To watch this recording, please submit a request for the December 1st meeting link to our Request Form.
- Launched online review process of our Growth Management Report and Needs Analysis.
- Virtual open house and public meeting regarding updates to growth management mapping and policies in the County Official Plan.
- Complete final report
- Present recommendation for Growth Management mapping and policies to Northumberland County Council for adoption
- Submit the amendment to the Province for approval and implementation.
- Upcoming virtual consultations regarding Growth Management amendment to County Official Plan - April 7, 2022
- Official Plan update moves forward with Natural Heritage System and Growth Management amendments - November 26, 2021
- Growth Management Report Executive Summary
- Growth Management Strategy / Land Needs Analysis Council Report - December 1, 2021
- For a copy of the full draft Growth Management report or proposed official plan amendment, please submit a request to our Land Use Planning team by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.